TABLE OF CONTENTS
Configuring the Canvas API Integration in Harmonize allows group and section details to be automatically synchronized to Harmonize as well as be able to set rubric and assignment date values directly from Harmonize. These integrations enable features in Harmonize that go beyond Canvas's standard LTI offering, so they require an additional scoped Developer Key to be installed and specific permissions enabled.
Note: The steps below require a login with admin access to the root account in Canvas.
- Visit any course currently using Harmonize.
- Navigate to the Harmonize Communication Center or open an existing Harmonize discussion within the course.
- Click the menu icon located in the top right of the Harmonize window and select License Administration from the drop down menu. This will open the License Administration page in a new browser tab.
- On the License Administration page, navigate to the Canvas API Administration section.
- In a separate browser tab or window, navigate to the root account admin page in Canvas and click on the Developer Keys link in the left side nav.
- Click the + Developer Key button and select + API Key.
- Fill in the following values on the Key Settings page:
- Key Name -> copy Key Name value from License Administration page
- Redirect URIs -> copy Redirect URI value from License Administration page
- Icon URL -> copy Icon URL value from License Administration page
- Enforce Scopes -> set to enabled
- Allow Include Parameters -> set to checked
- Select the following scopes based on the features you want to enable:
Groups - Improve group discussions by selecting a specific group set from the course.
- Group Categories
Sections - Allow instructors to filter their view of discussions by individual section.
Rubric Details - Select a rubric to use while grading directly from Harmonize.
Assignment Details - Set availability and due dates for assignments directly from Harmonize.
- Click Save.
- Back on the Developer Keys page, find the row for the newly created key and click the ON button.
- On the License Administration page, enter the following values and click Add.
- API Base URL -> enter the URL of the Canvas instance (ie. https://school.instructure.com).
- Client ID -> copy the number in the Details column for the API Key from the Developer Keys page.
- Client Secret -> click the Show Key button below the Client ID and copy the value.
- You'll now see a new row on the License Administration page.
- On the Harmonize License Administration Page, scroll down to the Platform Specific Extensions section.
- In the Canvas API Integration section, click the Edit icon located in the Action column.
- Click Select Features.
- Note: To delete the Canvas API Integration, click Delete.
- From here you may select which Canvas-specific features you'd like enabled. Features include Group Details, Section Details, Rubric Details, and Assignment Details. Toggle the feature on to enable, toggle the feature off to disable.
- When you are finished, click Update.
- The features you selected are now available for instructors to utilize.
Questions? Contact Harmonize Support!