LTI 1.3 Advantage is the latest LTI specification offered by IMS Global and offers a number of improvements over LTI 1.1. The instructions below describe how to add Harmonize to your Blackboard instance via LTI 1.3.
Important Note: Adding Harmonize to Blackboard requires a System Administrator role on the Blackboard instance. Additionally, you'll need a Blackboard Developer account if you wish to fully manage your developer keys.
Add Harmonize to Blackboard
- Log into your Blackboard instance as a System Administrator.
- Navigate to Administrator Tools.
- In the Integrations section, click on the LTI Tool Providers link.
- Click on the Register LTI 1.3/Advantage Tool button.
- Enter the Client ID given to you by Harmonize Support and click Submit.
- If your organization wishes to fully manage its developer keys, see the steps below to Generate a Client ID to use in this step.
- The next page will load with the Tool Status section already pre-filled.
- Scroll down to the Institution Policies and set the following:
- User Fields to Send
- Role in Course -> Checked
- Name -> Checked
- Email Address -> Checked
- Allow grade service access -> Yes
- Allow Membership Service Access -> Yes
- User Fields to Send
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Harmonize has now been successfully added to your Blackboard instance and can be used in courses.
Generate Client ID for Harmonize
This step is only necessary if you wish to fully manage your developer keys and requires a Blackboard Developer account.
- Log into developer.blackboard.com
- On the Manage Your Applications page, select the My Applications tab and click the + button.
- Fill in the following values provided to you by Harmonize Support and click the Register application and generate API Key button.
- Application Name -> Harmonize
- Description -> Discussion and Classroom Tools
- Domain(s) -> Provider Domain value
- Group -> appropriate production group
- My Integration support LTI 1.3 -> enabled
- Login Initiation URL -> Login Initiation URL value
- Tool Redirect URL(s) -> Redirect URIs value
- Tool JWKS URL -> JWKS URL value
- Signing Algorithm -> RS256
- Customer Parameters -> Custom Parameters values
- You will be taken to the Harmonize New API Key page. Copy the following values and send them to Harmonize Support. Click Done when finished.
- Application ID
- Public keyset URL
- Auth token endpoint
- OIDC auth request endpoint
- A new row will appear on the Manage Your Applications page. Click the menu (3 dots) icon on the row for Harmonize and select Manage Placements.
- On the Harmonize Manage Placements page, click the + button.
- Fill in the following values provided by Harmonize Support and click the Register placement button.
- Placement Name -> Harmonize
- Type -> Deep Linking content tool
- Target link URI -> Tool Provider URL value
- Icon URL -> Secure Icon URL value
- A new row will be added to the Harmonize Manage Placements page. Click the Done button.
- You can now use the Application ID as the Client ID value when adding Harmonize to your Blackboard instance